Sunday, November 9, 2008

1 Thessalonians 1:3

I will receive my foster care license on Wednesday. I don't know how long it will take for a child to actually be placed in my home. I am relying on God's impeccable timing and trusting that He will use every minute to prepare me for my next steps in this journey. I want to purge everything that would not be "child friendly" from my life and my home because I want my home to be a sanctuary of warmth, safety and security. Since I received the copy of my homestudy last week, I've been caught in a thought process that surprised me. Of course, I'm nervous and excited but mainly I've felt moved to pray. Pray for the state of our world, pray for our NEW PRESIDENT, pray for my friends and family, Pray for myself but above all---Pray for the little boy or girl out there who is in a less than optimal situation. There are approximately 500,000 kids in foster care in any one time in this country. Estimates are that three times that number are being abused/neglected in their home environments every day. The chances are good that the child who will soon be placed in my home is even now surrounded by chaos, danger, abuse or neglect. I work with these kids every day but it is so incredibly different to be on this side of things. Specifically, I am praying that God will be with this child in whatever their current circumstances. I am seeking God's miraculous intervention for protection, resiliency and peace.

My devotional this morning is Psalm 91:4-7
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Your faith and love will be tested...

yet I believe they will prevail. You'll be stronger and wiser for it.

D.

tina said...

There are not words to express how proud I am of you! You took God's proddings and made them life in action! You inspire me to step off the boat, knowing He has my back. I will be praying with you.

Lovely verse, I'm stealing it ;)