Wednesday, March 18, 2009

2 boys



If someone would have told me a month ago that I would be parenting two toddlers, I would have told them they were nuts-completely certifiable... And yet, here I am. Waking up to the sweet patter of little feet and sleepy voices asking if it is time to watch Thomas (the Tank Engine) and coming home from work to hugs and squeals and water fights in my backyard. It is amazing to me to see how well things are really shaping up. I don’t know how long these boys will be here but I am enjoying every single minute of it. Foster care has been so amazing. I think this is what I was born to do. There is no better feeling than to know that I am providing a safe, warm, comfortable, fun place to be for a little one (or two) who has been scared and hurt. One of the things I’ve become passionate about is getting the boys outside. Helping them learn to watch things grow and start to wonder about the beautiful things they see. It brings such a smile to my face when we are in the car and they get so excited about the hot air balloons in the morning and the moon coming up at night. We planted potatoes this week and they loved digging in the dirt and playing with the water. They are adventurous and active. They are sweet and polite. They burp and excuse themselves. They love shooting hoops and climbing ladders. They are completely obsessed with bananas, baby carrots and green beans. They seem to be relaxing more and more each day but still frequently ask “I wake up, I see you?”.

When I think of what these sweet boys have been through, I can’t help but wonder why. Why are some kids born into situations that are harmful and hurtful and desperate while others begin life in a world filled with joy and nurturing and positivity? My faith tells me that regardless of the circumstance, God can use it to create wonders but I can’t help but question the whys. I am so incredibly blessed to have an amazing family and a group of friends who are as close as family. I am so thankful for the support, encouragement, babysitting and offers of assistance. I cannot thank you all enough and I feel such immense gratitude for all of the blessings God has given me.

3 comments:

deborahcnm said...

It's Spring and you are doing what you do best...taking the desert and turning it into an oasis... agriculturally and parentally speaking....
Love you! deborah

Tina said...

Deb said it so eloquently!!! You are such a blessing to so many, it is only natural you are Mei Mei to these sweet boys. I am so grateful for having had the chance to smell little baby's neck. I will dearly miss the little toddlers in your care. I know whatever God has in store for them & you, you will be graceful and amazing, because that is you. I love you!

... said...

I found your blog on YouGrowGirl.com when I searched for Albuquerque. Just beautiful!